In this course, you will learn about EPUB documents including: structuring an Adobe InDesign CC file for EPUB export, modifying text and images, editing EPUB files, preparing an EPUB file for an eReader device and distributing an eBook.
NOTE: Working knowledge and experience with Adobe InDesign CC at the advanced level is a prerequisite for this course. Knowledge of HTML and CSS is an asset.
Duration: Two-Day Course
Platform: Windows and Macintosh
Fee: Call for information
We recommend one to eight people for this course.
Overview of EPUB documents
- Understanding EPUB formats
- Overview of the EPUB work flow
- Features of EPUB versions 2 and 3
- Items which can (or cannot) be included in an Adobe InDesign file
- Proofing an EPUB file using ADE
- Overview of HTML and CSS
- Editing EPUB source files
- Fixed Layout EPUB
Preparing and Modifying Adobe InDesign CC Content for EPUBs
- Overview of the key features of Adobe InDesign for EPUBs
- Document settings for EPUBs
- Alternate layout features in Adobe CC
- EPUB upgrades in Adobe CC
- Creating a navigational TOC and chapter breaks
- Using the Articles Panel to improve text flow
- Working with anchored objects
- Tweaking text and images for optimum export to EPUBs
- Applying and mapping paragraph and character styles to CSS tags
- Converting vector graphics for export
- Adding Metadata to an Adobe InDesign file
- Adding Alt tags to images in Adobe InDesign
- Mapping Microsoft Word styles to Adobe InDesign
Exporting and Validating EPUB files from InDesign
- Choosing EPUB export options for layout
- Previewing with EPUB interactivity
- Validating EPUB files
Editing EPUB files
- Accessing component files of EPUBs
- Identifying areas of an EPUB
- Choosing an EPUB Editor
- Creating and editing a Table of Contents
- Adding page and chapter breaks
- Adding accessibility features for assistive technology devices
- Adding formatting requirements for eReaders such as Apple and Kindle
Exporting and EPUB distribution
- Readers that support EPUBs
- Obtaining an International Standard Book Number (ISBN)
Tecnology Overview: EPUB
EPUB (Electronic publication; also referred to as ePub, ePUB, EPub, or epub) is a free and open e-book standard by the International Digital Publishing Forum (IDPF).
EPUB is designed for reflowable content, meaning that the text display can be optimized for the particular display device used by the reader of the EPUB-formatted book.
The format is meant to function as a single format that publishers and conversion houses can use in-house, as well as for distribution and sale.
Users: Creative, Engineering, Finance, IT, Legal, Marketing and Admin Professionals as well as anyone who needs to produce static electronic versions of their documents to devices such as Kobo and Kindle as well as other electronic readers, tablets and mobile devices.